Highway 36 & Lake Elmo Avenue Improvement Project
- Intersection of Trunk Highway 36 and Lake Elmo Avenue (County State Aid Highway 17) located in the Cities of Grant and Lake Elmo
- Address the existing deficiencies, including the inadequate intersection spacing, increased congestion and delays, and safety concerns
- Improve safety, capacity, and operation of the TH 36 and Lake Elmo Avenue (County Highway 17) intersection and surrounding area
- Utilize a comprehensive agency and public engagement process to achieve community acceptance
- Maintain the long-term transportation goals of MnDOT, Washington County, the Cities of Grant and Lake Elmo
- Consider bicycle, pedestrian, and ADA facilities along the Lake Elmo Avenue (County Highway 17) corridor
Subscribe to Project Updates
Sign up for email alerts to be the first to know about project updates and other ways to be involved in the project by clicking on the button below.
A three-step process is being used to evaluate intersection alternatives and select a preferred project alternative for the Highway 36 at Lake Elmo Avenue intersection. This process begins with identifying a reasonable range of concepts. Each step of the process will refine the alternatives through quantitative and qualitative analysis. Each step looks at the remaining alternatives at a progressively greater level of detail. The outcome of the third step is the identification of a preferred alternative. The preferred alternative will then be advanced into final design and ultimately construction.
The three-step screening process is described below:
Purpose and Need (June 6, 2022)
The draft Purpose and Need Document and draft Evaluation Criteria have been prepared as part of the environmental documentation phase of the project and will be used to help evaluate alternatives for improvements.
The information provided here is a summary of a longer technical report.
- Online Engagement
- Purpose and Need Public Comment Narrative Summary
- Purpose and Need Public Comment One-Page Graphical Summary
Open House #1 (November 9, 2021)
An online engagement was also available to view the materials that were shown at the in-person open house and provide feedback.
Goal Setting Workshop (October 13, 2021)
|2021 - 2022||Scoping and Preliminary Design|
|2023 - 2024||Final Design|