People with peace officer experience in another state and/or military policing experience
Must be have been working in law enforcement within the past six years may qualify to take the Minnesota Reciprocity Licensing Examination without having to complete additional education.
Qualifications for taking the reciprocity exam
For Out-of-State Reciprocity
- Complete basic police training in another state or federal law enforcement.
And, one of the following:
- Earn a post-secondary degree and three years of experience working as an officer.
- Five years of peace officer experience.
For Military Reciprocity
- Complete four years of cumulative experience in a law enforcement occupational specialty.
- Possess a post-secondary from a regionally accredited school and have at least two years cumulative experience in a law enforcement occupational specialty.
For more information about reciprocity, visit Minnesota POST exams.