Service connection for a disability may be established in the following ways:
- Direct: Service medical records show that the disabling condition was diagnosed during military service and the condition has continued to affect the Veteran.
- Aggravation: Evidence demonstrates that the disabling condition which existed prior to service was aggravated beyond normal progression during military service.
- Presumptive: Evidence demonstrates that the disability is one predetermined by the VA to be presumed for service connection by time, place and type of service.
- Secondary: Evidence demonstrates that the disability developed as a result of, or residual of, another service connected disability.
- Injury as a Result of VA Medical Treatment: This is a disability that the Veteran incurred, had aggravated or died from because of medical treatment at a VA Facility.