Permit to Carry
- Applications for Permits to Carry a firearm will be processed by the Sheriff's Office.
- The Permit to Carry application fee in Washington County is $75. The Sheriff’s Office will accept a personal check, cash or credit card in the exact amount of the fee for the permit.
- The initial permit will be valid for five years. See Renewal of your Permit to Carry for information on renewing your permit
- If you live in Minnesota, you must apply to the sheriff of the county in which you live, out of state applicants may apply at any of the 87 counties in the state.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Applicants must complete the state application, pay the fee, submit the form in person, and pass the background / criminal history check requirements.
- Applicants must provide proof of firearms training by a certified instructor that includes fundamentals of pistol use, actual shooting qualification exercise, and instruction in the fundamental legal aspects of pistol possession, carry, and use including self-defense and the restrictions on use of deadly force. Please note that training must have been completed no more than one year prior to your application date.
- The Sheriff's Office must act on the application within 30 days of receipt of the completed application packet.
- Permits issued in Minnesota are valid throughout Minnesota.
Information on how to obtain a permit to carry a pistol in the state of Minnesota as well as a list of authorized instructors, frequently asked questions, and a copy of MN Statute 624.714 can be downloaded from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.