Reporting Abuse or Neglect

If the child is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1 or your local police department.

Oral Report

If you want to make an immediate oral report of physical or sexual abuse, neglect or exploitation of a child, please call 651-430-6457 between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

After hours, you may call Emergency Social Services at 651-291-6795 to make a report.

Written Report

If you wish to make a written report and email it, please fill out the Referral of Suspected Child Abuse or Neglect form. Incomplete forms may result in the report not being accepted.

Child Protective Services

Washington County has the responsibility and authority to assure that children alleged to be abused or neglected are protected from harm or danger and that children in need of protection or services receive the appropriate services.

This is a major responsibility and is taken very seriously by this department. Washington County Community Services believes that the child's best interest and protection is maximized by maintaining the child at home whenever possible.

Criteria for Assessing Abuse and Neglect

The criteria used to determine when to conduct a Child Protection Assessment is set forth in Minnesota Statute 626.556, Subd.10.

The child protection intake screeners accept reports of alleged child maltreatment based on legal definitions and guidelines for assessment and investigation. A determination is made if a report should be assigned for further assessment or investigation.

After a report has been accepted, child protection screeners in the Intake / Assessment Unit utilize safety and risk assessment tools to determine if one of the following will be completed: