Food Support (Supplemental Nutrition Program - SNAP)
The SNAP program is for people and families with low incomes. Households must meet certain requirements and provide information/verification about their income. To learn if you may be eligible for SNAP, please see the information below. Or, to see if you might qualify for the program, there are a few questions you can answer by completing the food support questionnaire.
How to Apply
You can apply for SNAP benefits by completing an on-line application at ApplyMN. You can complete a paper application called a Combined Application Form (CAF) and submit it by mail of fax to any of our four Washington County offices. You can also visit any of the four offices and pick one up in person. The SNAP program does require an interview. The interview can be scheduled to be done over the phone if you mail in or drop off your application or it can also be done in person at any of our four offices Monday thru Friday from 8:00 - 11:00 a.m.
When You Apply
Completing page 1 of the CAF and submitting it to one of the offices sets the date of the application. This is important because the SNAP benefits are prorated in the month that you apply. An application is not complete however, until an interview has been completed by an Eligibility Specialist. If you meet certain criteria you may be eligible for Expedited SNAP however in order to receive benefits you still must complete an interview and provide proof of identity. You may be required to provide other proofs such as income and residency. Your Eligibility Specialist will provide you a list of things you need to verify at your interview.
How Do I Access My SNAP Benefits?
Once your benefits have been approved you will be issued an electronic benefit card (EBT). The card will be mailed to you. You can access your benefits at any store that accepts EBT cards. The card can only be used for food purchases. It is always good practice to call and find out the balance of your benefits before going to the store. If you have any questions or problems with accessing your benefits call EBT at 1-888-997-2227.
You Have the Right to Appeal
If you were denied SNAP benefits or if your benefits closed you have the Right to Appeal.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, Washington County is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability. You have the right to file a complaint if you believe you were treated in a discriminatory way by our agency: Complaint of Discrimination
- How do I apply for SNAP?
You can apply in a number of ways:
- In person at any of our four office locations, between the hours of 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Applications are available at all county offices, and workers are available during working hours to answer your questions about applying for SNAP benefits.
- Online through ApplyMN
- Print out and complete the Combined Application Form (CAF) and mail to: Washington County Community Services, PO Box 30, Stillwater, MN 55082 OR drop off at any of our four office locations. The CAF is the application required to apply for SNAP and/or cash assistance. When your benefits begin depends on the date the county receives the first page of the Combined Application Form (CAF) or the online application via ApplyMN.
- Are there other food and nutrition programs I might qualify for?
Other programs include:
- WIC (Women, Infants and Children) is a nutrition education program that provides free supplemental foods which promote food health
- The free or reduced price school lunch program is available for families meeting certain income qualifications. An application for this program can be obtained through your child's school.
- Commodity Supplemental Food Program (SFP)
- Nutrition Program for Seniors
- How long does it take after I apply to know if I qualify?
It depends on your situation. For some emergency situations, benefits can be issued within 5 days. In most situations, the county will notify you by mail of a decision within 30 days.