Parents Live in Different States

Parents Living in Different States / Countries

When parents or caretakers live in different states or countries, a child support case can be opened at the child support office where one of the parents or caretakers lives. The child support office will either establish and enforce the child support order or ask another state or country for help. Continue reading for answers to some of the most frequently asked questions concerning parents residing in different states or countries.

What is the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA)?

Federal law requires all states to pursue child support activities, including location, paternity, and support order establishment, and enforcement of support orders, as strongly for children who live outside their state as for those within their state. The UIFSA is the law that tells states how to get and enforce child support obligations when the parents do not live in the same state or country.

UIFSA allows states power to reach beyond their own borders for certain types of child support actions, to simplify and speed up processes. However, under certain circumstances the child support office may need to work in cooperation with another state to establish and/or enforce a child support order.