Motor Vehicle

Washington County is modifying services with the direction that Gov.Tim Walz has provided under "Stay Safe MN."
All license and service center services provided in-person require an appointment. Walk-in customers will not be accepted at this time. 

License Plates and Stickers

If you never received your renewal notice or if you have misplaced it, the person that is the registered owner of the vehicle can renew the tabs by bringing in the plate number of the vehicle and identification. Your Insurance Company Name, Policy Number and Full Expiration Date are needed at time of renewal of your registration (except for trailers). Please write this information in the insurance box near the bottom right of your renewal notice. Insurance information is also needed on a vehicle title transfer. More information can be obtained by calling any of the three license centers.

Motor Vehicle Title Transfer

To transfer a Minnesota or Out-of-State title you must supply the following:
  • Certificate of Title
  • Buyer's complete name, birth date, address, telephone number, driver's license number, and signature
  • Lender's name and address and loan date (if applicable)

New Resident Motor Vehicle Registration

A new resident moving into Minnesota has sixty days to register their motor vehicle in our state and thirty days to apply for a Minnesota Drivers' License.

In order to register a vehicle in Minnesota you need the following:
  • Proof of ownership - Title or current registration
  • Mileage - If the vehicle is less than 10 years old
  • If there is a loan on the vehicle we need the complete name and address of the lien holder and the date of the loan (month, day and year)
  • If the vehicle is leased we need the complete name and address of the lessor and proof that the registrant is the lessee
A Minnesota Title will be mailed in about three months if an out-of-state title is turned in. If a title is not available at the time of registration it should be turned in to the State of Minnesota as soon as possible.

Disability License Plate / Disability Certificates

Applications for disability parking certificates or disability license plates are available at the license centers. They require a physician or chiropractor's signature. A temporary disability parking certificate will be issued when your application is received.