Driver's License / State ID Cards

Change in Services Due to COVID-19
In an effort to provide a safe environment for the public and our employees, driver's license, State ID card and instruction permit services are available by appointment. Due to limited staffing, we are not able to assist walk-in customers at this time.    

Did you know?
  • The Real ID full enforcement deadline has been extended to October 1, 2021.If you do not have a Real ID compliant driver's license or ID card and wish to obtain one, we recommend getting one as your driver's license expires if it is before October 1, 2021. Learn more about the extension
  • If your driver's License expires between March 12 and September 30, you have until October 31, 2020 to renewLearn more about the extension.
  • If you are renewing or replacing a standard driver's license and have no changes to your name, address, signature or license number, you can renew online using DVS Applying for a License or State ID 
  • Knowledge and road tests are only available at DVS exam stations. Appointments are required for Class D knowledge tests and walk-ins will not be accepted. Schedule an appointment at a DVS exam station.

Driver's Licenses, State ID Cards, and Instruction Permits can be renewed, replaced, updated, upgraded and applied for for the first time at the Washington County License Centers located in Stillwater, Forest Lake and Woodbury. The License Centers are not exam facilities. This means we are unable to offer knowledge or road tests as well as reinstate suspended or revoked driver's licenses. 

Minnesota has three driver's license/ID options from which residents may choose

REAL ID-Compliant Driver's License or ID Card

Enhanced Driver's License or ID Card 

Standard Driver's License or ID Card

Determining which type of license or ID card works best depends on what a person needs to use the card for. Visit the DVS License/ID Options page or use their new Help Me Choose tool to find the card that best fits your needs. 

Save time, pre-apply.
Prior to your visit, you can pre-apply for your driver's license or ID card. You will still need to visit our office to complete the process. This request will decrease the time spent at the counter and forego the need to complete a paper application. Please bring your confirmation page and documents listed on it to our office. 

Knowledge and road tests are only available at DVS exam stations. If you are a new resident of MN and have an out of state driver's license, a written test is required. Appointments are required for Class D knowledge tests and walk-ins will not be accepted. Schedule an appointment at a DVS exam station.

Do you need to reschedule a road test cancelled during the closure? Learn how to reschedule with DVS. We do not have access to DVS testing schedules and are unable to assist with scheduling questions. 

The DVS Stillwater Exam Station is closed until further notice.

Driver's manuals are available online to view or print. 

Pay for a Driver's License
Fees vary based on the type of and class of license. 
See a list of current driver's license fees

Acceptable forms of payment include cash, check, credit and debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express). A 2.49% service fee will be added to the transaction amount if you choose to use a credit or debit card. 

Contact Us


    Forest Lake License Center 
    19955 Forest Rd N
    Forest Lake, MN 55025

    Stillwater License Center 
    1520 W Frontage Rd
    Stillwater, MN 55082

    Woodbury License Center
    2150 Radio Dr
    Woodbury, MN 55125