Driver's License / State ID Cards
Change in Services Due to COVID-19
In an effort to provide a safe environment for the public and our employees, driver's license, State ID card and instruction permit services are available by appointment. Due to limited staff, we are not able to assist walk-in customers at this time. Walk-in service is available in limited capacity based on staffing levels and appointment cancellations.
Did you know?
- The Real ID full enforcement deadline has been extended to October 1, 2021.If you do not have a Real ID compliant driver's license or ID card and wish to obtain one, we recommend getting one as your driver's license expires if it is before October 1, 2021. Learn more about the extension.
- If your driver's License expires during the peacetime emergency you will receive an automatic expiration extension. The expiration will be the end of the month two months after the end of the peacetime emergency. Learn more about the extension.
- If you are renewing or replacing a standard driver's license and have no changes to your name, address, signature or license number, you can renew online using DVS Applying for a License or State ID.
- Knowledge and road tests for Class D licenses are available at DVS exam stations. Appointments are required for Class D knowledge tests and walk-ins will not be accepted. Schedule an appointment at a DVS exam station.
- Online testing for the Class D knowledge test is available through the State of MN. Learn more about online knowledge testing.
Minnesota has three driver's license/ID options from which residents may choose
REAL ID-Compliant Driver's License or ID Card
Enhanced Driver's License or ID Card
Standard Driver's License or ID Card
Determining which type of license or ID card works best depends on what a person needs to use the card for. Visit the DVS License/ID Options page or use their new Help Me Choose tool to find the card that best fits your needs.
Save time, pre-apply.
Prior to your visit, you can pre-apply for your driver's license or ID card. You will still need to visit our office to complete the process. This request will decrease the time spent at the counter and forego the need to complete a paper application. Please bring your confirmation page and documents listed on it to our office.
Knowledge and road tests are only available at DVS exam stations. If you are a new resident of MN and have an out of state driver's license, a written test is required. Appointments are required for Class D knowledge tests and walk-ins will not be accepted. Schedule an appointment at a DVS exam station.
Online testing for the Class D knowledge test is available through the State of MN. Learn more about online knowledge testing.
Do you need to reschedule a road test cancelled during the closure? Learn how to reschedule with DVS. We do not have access to DVS testing schedules and are unable to assist with scheduling questions.
The DVS Stillwater Exam Station is closed until further notice.
Driver's manuals are available online to view or print.
Pay for a Driver's License
Fees vary based on the type of and class of license. See a list of current driver's license fees.