Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems (SSTS)
A septic permit is required in Washington County when:
- Installing new septic tanks and/or soil treatment areas
- All repair and modifications of existing systems and components.
- Changes in the facility served by the system may trigger a permit. Contact Public Health at 651-430-6655 or via email.
Complete a septic application using the online permitting portal. (Not compatible with Internet Explorer)
Installation inspections must be schedule 24 hours prior to work/inspection being done. To schedule an installation call: 651-430-6655 or email.
Compliance inspections must be performed when a property with septic system is sold. A compliance inspection would not be required by Washington County if:
- A compliant compliance inspection has been done and filed with Washington County in the last three years.
- A new/replacement system has been installed and has a certificate of compliance completed in the last five years.
Compliance inspections need to be scheduled with a licensed compliance inspector. Find a licensed inspector through the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA)
Operating permits need to be obtained when a Type IV or V system is installed. The operating permit is to monitor data and the operation of the system installed.
- Submit an Operating permit application, upon completion email to Septic@co.washington.mn.us
- Submit operating reports to Septic@co.washington.mn.us
A permit to land apply septage is required for every parcel that it will be applied to; contiguous parcels will be permitted together.