CHANGE IN SERVICES UNDER COVID-19Effective Saturday, March 28, the Washington County Environmental Center is closed to comply with the Governor’s Executive Order. Hazardous waste, recycling, and food scraps (organics) drop-off services are suspended until further notice.
Washington County residents are encouraged to safely store their household hazardous waste until service resumes.
Safe Household Hazardous Waste Storage:
Protecting the Environment
Tours Are Available!
Ever wondered about where all the household hazardous waste you drop off goes to? Now is your chance to find out! Come get a behind the scenes tour of the Washington County Environmental Center! Tours are open to groups of at least 5 people and no more than 25. Call 651-430-6655 for more information or to schedule a tour.
Household Hazardous Materials Accepted
The Environmental Center accepts a variety of materials and substances which are listed by category below.
Automotive and Recreation From Homes
Home Improvement and Construction
Other Household Items
Yard and Garden From Homes
View information about accepted recyclables.
Residents are now able to drop-off food scraps, paper towels, and more at the Environmental Center. Known as “organics,” these materials can be recycled into compost, a valuable resource that improves soil and decreases the need for fertilizers. Learn how to get started with organics drop-off.
Sharps Disposal From Homes
The Environmental Center accepts sharps generated from households. Sharps are syringes, needles, and lancets. Please follow these steps before disposing of sharps:
- Place sharps in a rigid container such as a plastic laundry detergent bottle, coffee can with the lid taped shut, or sharps container.
- Put sharps in point first.
- Label the container “Do not recycle: household sharps.”
- Bring the container to the Environmental Center.
- Keep sharps containers separate from all other waste.
- When you arrive at the drop-off site, inform the staff that you have sharps for disposal.
- Loose sharps are not accepted.