Public Health and Environment

* Flood Precautions *

Hazardous Waste: 
Move hazardous materials off the ground to a safe area that is likely to remain dry throughout the flooding.
  • Residents can bring unwanted chemicals to the Environmental Center for safe disposal.
  • Businesses in Washington County that generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month may be eligible to participate in the Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) collection program. Call 651-275-7475 for information.

Private Water Wells: 


Septic Systems: 


The department provides services in order to protect, promote and improve the community’s health and the environment.


If you suspect that you have become ill from food, call the department or report online at Report Your Concern. You can also report through the Minnesota Department of Health Foodborne Illness Hotline at 1-877-FOOD-ILL (1-877-366-3455).

If you are a healthcare provider and need to report an infectious disease, please call the 24/7 Minnesota Department of Health at 651-201-5414 or 1-877-676-5414. If you want more information on disease reporting guidelines, visit the infectious disease reporting section of the Minnesota Department of Health website.

To report a concern or complaint about a possible environmental hazard, call the department or report online at Report a Concern and submit the information. Your report will go directly to the department for followup.