Specialized License Plates

Several different license plates are available, ranging from Veteran Plates to Personalized/Vanity Plates to Habitat Conservation Plates. Some plates come with additional yearly contributions while others have one time payments associated with them. Most plates can only be displayed on passenger class vehicles, but a number of plates are also available for display on one-ton trucks, recreational vehicles and motorcycles. 

The Special License Plate Brochure (PDF) contains images and information on specific plates.

Specialized Plates Available at the License Center

  • Critical Habitat, including: deer, loon, angler, chickadee, lady slipper, buck, pheasant, moose and turkey designs.
  • Support our Troops
  • Minnesota Golf
  • Minnesota State Parks and Recreation
  • Remembering Victims of Impaired Driving
  • Law Enforcement Memorial

All other specialized plates must be ordered.

How to Apply for Special License Plates?

In most cases, you must be the vehicle owner and complete and sign an Application for Special Plates (PDF). Most plates can be issued and applied for with only the application. Some specialized plates require additional information. Please see below for specific information on various types of Specialized Plate.

Apply for Collegiate Plates


  • $23.50 for these plates.
  • Additional $25 due at the time of the initial issuance and registration renewal for its respective program.