Transfer of Out of State Titles

The information on this page is intended for people who have purchased a vehicle with a title from another state. Learn how to transfer your registration from another state if you have moved to Minnesota. 

If you have purchased a vehicle that has a title from a state other than Minnesota, please follow the steps outlined here. No two states have the same format of title, however all titles contain the same type of information. Minnesota law requires a title purchased by a Minnesota resident be transferred within 10 business days of the date of sale to avoid a penalty. 

NOTE: The following information is intended to give a general outline of most title transfers and may not be complete or apply to all solutions. The only way to know if you have all of the required information is to present it to a representative at a License Center. Please contact us with any questions. 

What Do I Need to Transfer the Title? 
In every case you will need to present the most current title. If you do not have the most current title, the seller will need to obtain a duplicate from the state the title was issued from. Seller and buyers will need to complete and sign the appropriate section on the title. 

Effective January 1, 2016, per Minnesota Statutes 2014, Section 169.798, Subdivision 4
Every owner applying for a self-propelled motor vehicle or motorcycle/moped registration, re-registration, or transfer of ownership must provide proof of insurance. Required insurance information includes the insurance company's name, the policy number and the policy expiration date for the motor vehicle or motorcycle.

Does the Title Have a Lien Listed? 
If the title has a lien holder listed on it, we will need a lien release statement from the lending institution listed. In most states, the lien holder can sign a designated area on the title to release the lien. If the title of the vehicle does not have such an area or it is not completed, the owner must obtain a lien release statement from the lien holder. 

Buyers Application for Minnesota Title
The buyer must complete an Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle. This form will allow the State of Minnesota to transfer the title and registration of the vehicle to Minnesota. It is not necessary for the seller to sign this form. Please view the Application Guide to assist on what is required to be filled out. We are willing to assist you with completing this form if you have any questions. 


Any alteration or erasure to the title or supporting document will void it. This includes crossing our, writing over, or using correction fluid/tape on incorrect information once it has been written. We are more than willing to assist you in completing any information to reduce the risk of alterations. If an alteration occurs, both buyers and sellers will need to complete and sign a corrected title form. If the alteration is to remove a person's name from the buyers section you must complete this form. For all other alterations or corrections (including the date and purchase price), please compete this form. Please contact us with any questions. 

A Note of Prices of Taxes and Fees

Unfortunately, due to the wide variety of transfer types and situations, we cannot offer pricing estimates online or over the phone. The only was to obtain an accurate price estimate is to present the title and all necessary documents to a License Center Representative for review. 

Contact Us

     Forest Lake License Center
     19955 Forest Rd N
     Forest Lake, MN 55025
     Stillwater License Center
     1520 W Frontage Rd
     Stillwater, MN 55082
     Woodbury License Center
     2150 Radio Dr
     Woodbury, MN 55125