Square Lake Park Master Plan
Washington County is leading a master plan process for Square Lake Park. Located in May Township, this 25-acre park is a regional feature renowned for its access to some of the clearest waters in the metropolitan region. The park offers a popular swim beach and lake access for boats, scuba divers, paddle boarders, and more.
Master plans are a product of collaboration with the community and agency stakeholders that delivers a new comprehensive vision for the future of the park and its legacy. The Square Lake Park master plan will provide the planning and implementation guidance for future park capital improvements, acquisitions, and natural resource management.
Project Themes and Goals
- Infrastructure Improvements
- Water Quality Protection
- Natural Resource Protection
- Access Improvements
- Recreational Use
Master Plan Draft Document
Washington County led a public engagement process for this project in 2020. In light of the COVID‐19 situation, engagement opportunities were primarily conducted online.
Review past engagement events and findings below.
Overall Theme Statement
Square Lake Park is a destination renowned for its access to one of the clearest lakes in the region. Future park investments will continue to improve and complement what makes the lake special.
- Square Lake Park is visited and loved by both local residents and people all over the region
- Protecting and enhancing water quality and clarity is a key priority
- Significant demand for improving nonmotorized watercraft site amenities and programming
- Preservation of natural, scenic setting is desired
- Improvements are needed to better connect and access upper and lower areas of the park
- Crowding at beach and high usage of lake during peak times impacts park experience
- People are interested in visiting and using the park more in non-summer months
- Restroom facility is well used and therefore improvements and consistent maintenance are important
- Develop additional trails and explore opportunities to complement existing uses
- Proposed acquisitions will add value to the park and region through conservation of natural resources and low impact park improvements