The Washington County Historic Courthouse offers guided public tours, self-guided tours, and a variety of themed tours throughout the year. Learn more details about the history of the St. Croix Valley, hear tales of the people who lived and worked at the courthouse, tour areas not typically open to the public, or enjoy a walking tour of the neighborhood.
Public Hours & Self-guided Tours
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Free admission. Donations are accepted.
The Historic Courthouse is closed holidays. Open on Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
Public Guided Tours
Wednesday - Sunday, 11 a.m., 1 p.m., and 3 p.m.
Free admission. Donations are encouraged.
To ensure the best tour experience, public tours are limited to 15 participants per tour guide. Large groups will be divided for a tour rotation. If you are visiting with a large group of 10 or more, please call 651-275-7075 to make arrangements. Unscheduled tour groups may be asked to tour the building without a guide.
Private & group tours are available during regular business hours. Please call 651-275-7075 to schedule. $2.00 per person.
Virtual Outdoor Tour
Use your personal electronic devices to tour the Historic Courthouse grounds.
Enjoy history outdoors at the Historic Courthouse! Learn about this historic site while walking along the beautiful grounds on a guided tour. Listen to stories about the missing time capsule, Soldiers & Sailors Civil War Monument, Civil War cannons, and traverse down the staircase to the Stillwater Veterans Memorial across the street. Please check in at the Parks office upon arrival. A signed waiver is also required and will be provided at check-in.
- These tours are not handicapped accessible. Routes will include uneven staircases, pavement and sidewalks, traversing light terrain. Please dress for the weather and wear athletic shoes.
- Please register online and check in at the Parks office upon arrival.
- $5 per person. Proceeds benefit the Historic Courthouse Restoration Fund.
- Reservations are nonrefundable within 14 days of the program date.
- Tours are limited to 10 participants and one tour guide.
Explore the areas of the Historic Courthouse that are typically closed off to the public, including the basement, dome, and step inside the 1870’s jail that housed women and juveniles! The history exhibits will be open for viewing at your own pace.
This tour is not handicap accessible and will require bending, stepping over/under low-hanging objects, stair climbing, and walking on uneven floor surfaces.
- $10 per person.
- Ages 8 and older. Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tours are limited to 12 participants and one tour guide.
- Register online or call 651-275-7075. Walk-ins welcome based on availability. Reservations are nonrefundable within 14 days of the program date.
- Check in at the Parks Office upon arrival.
Proceeds benefit the Historic Courthouse Restoration Fund.