- Community Services
- Family Support Grant (FSG)
Family Support Grant (FSG)
The Family Support Grant Program provides cash grants to families of children, under 25 years of age (October 1st 2019) with a certified disability, residing at home. The goal of the program is to prevent or delay the out-of-home placement of children and promote family health and social well-being by enabling access to family-centered services and supports.
Recipients between the ages of 14 to 25 are able to use the grant funds toward transitional services and supports to achieve an employment goal. When the recipient is working towards an employment goal they do not need to reside in their guardians/parents' home to utilize grants funds but guardian/parent will be responsible for monitoring grant fund usage and follow program guidelines.
- Families must have an annual adjusted gross income that is less than $105,230 per year.
- If you are above this income you can apply for a hardship and your hardship will be reviewed.
- Proof of income with most current tax forms are required when applying.
- Currently, people receiving any Medical Assistance Waiver are not eligible for this program. People receiving Personal Care Assistance (PCA) or Consumer Support Grant are not eligible for the Family Support Grant Program unless approved prior and authorized by grant coordinator.
- You are allowed to use this program to fill a service gap time prior to actively using one of those programs or stop services under PCA/CSG for 30 days to obtain grant funds to make a lump sum purchase.
Families can contact their County social worker to request an application. Once returned, the application will be reviewed and scored based upon need. You will be contacted by your social worker if you are awarded a grant and the amount. Please return the following items completely filled out and signed to avoid a process delay:
- Application Form filled out and signed (DOC)
- Application Form filled out and signed (PDF)
- Budget Form (DOC)
- Budget Form (PDF)
- Annual Expenditures (DOC)
- Annual Expenditures (PDF)
- Hardship Application – if applicable (DOC)
- Hardship Application – if applicable (PDF)
- Most recent tax return
Recipients may receive a maximum of $3,113.99 per year
Monthly Grant Funding:
This type of grant is for families who have ongoing needs and expenses that occur on a regular basis, such as respite care, therapy not covered by MA or private insurances, etc.
One-time Grant Funding:
This type of grant is for families who want to apply part or all of the grant towards the cost of one or more specific high-cost items, such as adaptive devices, special equipment and home modifications. One-time lump sum grants are limited to the max yearly amount of $3,113.99 per year.
Please note the county receives limited funds per year – when the funds are fully allocated the new applicants will be placed on a waiting list until more funds become available.
What can you use it for?
The grant must be spent on services and items that are directly related to caring for the child with a disability. You are not allowed to use the parent pay option under this program. Only expenses that are beyond typical cost of caring for a child of similar age may be covered or for the child to achieve an employment goal (14- 25 years old).
Allowable expense categories include:
- Support Services (Staff, Respite)
- Educational services/Tutors
- Medical services
- Transitional Services related to employment
- Specialized clothing, dietary needs, equipment or modifications
- Other items/services may be covered – please check with FSG coordinator, if it’s related to the child’s disability.
Please ask your social worker or FSG coordinator if you have questions about coverage for a certain item or service not listed.
Family Support Grants may not be used for purchases covered by other funding sources, such as private insurance and Medical Assistance/TEFRA. A denial letter may be requested from the applicant to show FSG is the last payment coverage option for some items requested to be covered.
- You will be notified to fill out a W-9 form to complete the application process to get the funds mailed. Families must keep receipts for all expenses for two years – you may be requested to turn in receipts for items that were on your budget sheet to show proof of purchase.
- Monthly grants are available as funds are available to a family on an ongoing basis each fiscal year through the annual renewal process, as long as their child remains eligible for the program.
- You will receive a renewal packet to start the renewal process over. If you do not receive this renewal packet by December please contact your social worker or the Family Support Grant Coordinator.
- One-time grant recipients or hardship grant recipients will need to request the application from their social worker or Family Support Grant Coordinator – renewal packets do not go out for these individuals.