The Washington County Historic Courthouse Through the Years: 1870 - Today
This exhibit showcases Historic Courthouse artifacts from 1870-1975, including antique office equipment, furniture, period clothing, a judge’s office display, and much more.
Rotating tabletop displays throughout the building feature the history of area events, Washington County and the City of Stillwater.
The Great Courthouse Debate
Within its 150-year history, the Historic Courthouse has had its share of debates, and not just in the courtroom. In the 1960’s the courthouse faced demolition during a debate on whether to build a new government center or add-on to the existing space. Saved by the community, the courthouse continued to be the focus of debates and discussion on its use, fundraising, restoration and its role as a historical landmark.
This exhibit examines the historic and contemporary issues and highlights the key questions posed to our community about how to bring the Historic Courthouse into the future, while preserving its past.
- Through the Eyes of Others: Art in Washington County
- The Life of an Object: Stories, Meanings & Moments - Virtual Tour & Mystery Object Game
- Freedom, Independence & Citizenship: The History of Voting Rights in Minnesota
- Spokes & Folks: The Evolution of Bikes & Trails in Washington County
- People & Places: Architecture in Washington County