Cash Programs

There are 6 different cash programs:

  • Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) - A monthly cash grant for low-income families and pregnant women.
  • Diversionary Work Program (DWP) - a short-term program that provides employment services and basic living costs to eligible families who are working or looking for work but need help with basic living expenses.
  • General Assistance (GA) - An interim monthly cash grant for single or married adults who are unable to work for at least 45 days but plan to return to work or receive benefits from another state or federal program.
  • Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) - a small monthly grant for people eligible for the federal Supplemental Security Income program.
  • Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) - A cash grant for people who entered the US as a refugee or as an asylee and have been in the country for less than 8 months.
  • Group Residential Housing (GRH) - a monthly payment used to pay room and board for those unable to live on their own due to age or a disability.

How to Apply

You can apply for MFIP/DWP, MSA, or GA by visiting any of four Washington County office locations between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. Monday through Friday. You will need to complete a Combined Application Form. You can complete the form ahead of time or ask for one when you are in the office. You can also apply at ApplyMN and submit your application electronically. The cash program does require an interview. MFIP and DWP interviews need to be completed in one of Washington County’s four service centers. The interview for MSA and GA can be done in person at one of the offices or can be done over the phone. If you send your application in by mail, fax, or electronically and eligibility worker will contact you to set up an appointment.

Refugee Cash Assistance must be applied for at a voluntary resettlement agency (VOLAG).

Placement in a residential group house requires an assessment and pre-approval by social services.