- Washington County Historic Courthouse
Washington County Historic Courthouse
St. Croix Bluffs Regional Park boat launch closed June 13 - June 15The St. Croix Bluffs boat launch will be closed Tuesday, June 13 – Thursday, June 15 for pavement work and striping. Read on...
Historic Courthouse temporarily closed in preparation for improvement projectThe Washington County Park division will be completing an exterior restoration project on the Historic Courthouse this year. The project will include improvements to the exterior of the building to restore and preserve this historic building. Read on...
Parks Visitor QuestionnaireWe want to hear from you! Your participation in this brief questionnaire provides much needed information for our park planning and operations activities. Read on...
Visiting the Historic Courthouse
Located high on the hill overlooking downtown Stillwater, the Washington County Historic Courthouse is the longest standing courthouse in the state of Minnesota, serving as the county seat for over 100 years. Now a Washington County Park, the Historic Courthouse offers daily guided and self-guided tours, activities for families, educational programming for the public, schools and scouts, public events, and private meeting and event rental spaces.
In addition to self-guided and guided tours, the Washington County Historic Courthouse offers fun activities for children, families, and all those who are young-at-heart.
- Step into the shoes of a County Sheriff and hone your detective skills with the Courthouse Scavenger Hunt. Search for items throughout the building - children who find them all will win a prize!
Playing the Past
- Uncover the history of Washington County and the lives of area residents using our interactive biography boxes and timeline. Using what you have learned as inspiration, create your own character. Visit the clothing display and dress up as your character! Will you be a pioneer, a fine Victorian lady/gentleman, judge, or deputy?
Create a Comic Strip or Write Your Own Story
- Learn about the courthouse mice, Gus & Sig, along with Winfield the Cat - lovable characters created by courthouse volunteers. Create your own stories and comic strips about people or animals that live in historic places.
- Stop by the children’s corner to touch and feel courthouse artifacts, including tiles and snow catchers, or stamp a county seal using an antique stamp.
*A St. Croix Valley History curriculum unit is also available for teachers and homeschools using the interactive biography boxes available at the Historic Courthouse.
Self-guided Walking Tours
Begin a self-guided walking tour of downtown Stillwater or the South Hill neighborhood at the Washington County Historic Courthouse. Created by the City of Stillwater, walking tour maps are available at the Historic Courthouse. Use the links below to print your own copy.
- South Hill Walking Tour Brochure (PDF)
- Historic Downtown Walking Tour Brochure PDF)
- Cultural Landscape Walking Tour Brochure PDF)
Guided History Strolls
Step out the office for a day of history and fun team-building activities! Split into teams and race to see who can complete the Historic Courthouse Scavenger Hunt first, take a customized tour of this historic site (including the old 1900's County Jail), begin a self-guided walking tour of the South Hill neighborhood, picnic on the lawn and more!
The Historic Courthouse also rents meeting space for small and large groups. For more information, visit Gathering and Meeting Spaces.