Financial Assistance

The county has financial assistance options available for residents, in the form of low-interest loans and/or grants for low-income households.
  • Property must be located in Washington County.
  • Property owner must apply for funds (renters cannot apply for loans or grants).
  • Septic system must be noncompliant, i.e., the project must result in a water quality improvement. The county will verify subsurface sewage treatment system (SSTS) eligibility. If you do not know the status of your system, contact the county. You may need to get an inspection completed by a licensed inspector.
  • Funds cannot be used for new homes, or for remodeling or upgrading of a currently compliant septic system.
  • Funds can be used for municipal sewer hookup, in the case of hookup, the old SSTS must be properly abandoned. If well replacement or water hookup is being funded, current or existing well must be sealed in accordance with the MN Well Code.
  • Funds can be used for well improvements or replacements when relocating a well to meet setback requirements, repair broken casings, replacement of contaminated well or the well is at risk of flooding, and abandoned/seal open well.

Washington County SSTS and Well Low Interest Loan Program

New applications will be accepted at this time, but may be put on a waiting list. Please contact the Community Development Agency at 651-458-0936.

The County joined the Minnesota Department of Agriculture's (MDA) Agricultural Best Management Practices (AgBMP) loan program as a local lender. The county is partnering with the Washington County Community Development Agency (CDA) to administer the program. Loans are available to all "rural landowners" (i.e., not connected to city sewer). Businesses and residences are eligible. Detailed information on the program is available in the SSTS and Well Loan Guidance.
  • Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis; loans are awarded while funds are available.
  • $225 due with application (application fee).
  • No income or asset restrictions.
  • Choose from three different term lengths and interest rates: 5 years (1.5%), 8 years (2%), and 10 years (3%).
  • Payment is set up as a special assessment on property taxes due twice a year.
  • The loan is secured by a lien on the property.
  • $46 recording fee + MN Revenue, Mortgage Tax due at time of signing of the lien agreement.
  • Before the property can be sold or transferred, the loan must be paid off.
  • Loans must be repaid by the landowner.

SSTS Fix Up Grants for Low-Income Residents

For 2021, the county has SSTS fix up grants available to qualified  
low-income households. These funds are available via the Clean Water Fund. Detailed information about SSTS fix-up grants is available in the SSTS Grant Guidance.
                                               Clean Water Land Legacy Logo
  • Applicant must meet income guidelines (see grant guidance).
  • No fee for grant application (if you are applying for a loan, fees will apply; see above).
  • A limited amount of funds is available.
  • Grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

Previous Results for SSTS fix up grants:

  • In 2020, six grants were awarded to property owners, for a total of $37,389. 
  • In 2019, four grants were awarded to property owners, for a total of $27,426.The funding source included both 2018 and 2019 Clean Water Fund from the MPCA.
  • In 2018, two grants were awarded to property owners, for a total of $11,000.
  • In 2017, five grants were awarded to property owners, for a total of $26,000. The funding source included both 2016 and 2017 Clean Water Fund from the MPCA.
  • In 2016, five grants were awarded to property owners, for a total of $24,500.

To Apply:

To apply for a loan, grant, or both, submit a Financial Assistance Application.
Application materials should be submitted to the Washington County CDA at:

7645 Currell Blvd, Woodbury, MN 55125

See a list of Frequently Asked Questions
Contact the CDA with application questions at 651-458-0936
Contact the Department of Public Health and Environment with questions about the SSTS at 651-430-6655.