Military Discharges

Recording Military Discharges

All military discharges are recorded in the Recorder's office and are confidential documents. When a person in the military service is discharged, they receive a DD214 document. The Veterans Service Office can assist veterans in obtaining their military discharge DD 214 or equivalent document.

The military service organizations strongly suggest recording the DD214 to ensure easy availability of the certified copy of this document, if the original would get lost or destroyed. Upon recording the discharge, the office will furnish certified copies to the veteran.

A new law, effective January 1, 2004, requires the veteran or surviving spouse, children, parent, or legal guardian to fill out a tangible interest form and show identification before receiving a certified copy of the document. This is to protect the veteran from identity theft.