Food Service Establishments

Licensing and Inspection

The Department of Public Health and Environment licenses and inspects food service establishments. The regulations are outlined in the Washington County Food Ordinance and the Minnesota Food Code. Grocery stores, convenience stores, bakeries, meat processing, and candy-making businesses are regulated by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.

Looking to reduce waste and save money at your establishment? Check out BizRecycling.

Apply for a License

Food service establishment licenses are not transferable to person or place. A change of ownership inspection must be conducted prior to the closing date of the sale and a new license must be obtained before you begin operation of the business.

  • Complete the License Application.
  • Submit completed license application, payment, and a copy of the proposed menu to Washington County Department of Public Health & Environment.
  • Contact the Department of Public Health and Environment for an inspection and obtain license prior to operation of restaurant.

Report a Concern

To report a concern or complaint about a food service establishment, go to Report a Concern and submit the information. Your report will go directly to the department for follow-up.

If you suspect that you have become ill from food, call the Public Health and Environmental Department at 651-430-6655, or go to Report a Concern. You can also report through the Minnesota Department of Health Foodborne Illness Hotline at 1-877-FOOD-ILL (1-877-366-3455).